It is Ganesh Chathurthi season...and Kozhukkatai is an important neivedyam/offering made during this festival.
Unlike the sweet modakam/kozhukkatai, this Ammini /Mani/Undili Kozhukkatai is a spicy version which is much easier to make and definitely,tasty too.
- RICE FLOUR -1 CUP
- WATER-1 3/4 CUPS
- GRATED COCONUT-3/4 CUP
- DRY RED CHILLIES-4
- MUSTARD SEEDS-1/2 TEASPOON
- URAD DHAL-1/2 TEASPOON
- ASAFOETIDA POWDER-FEW PINCHES
- OIL-2 TABLESPOONS
- CURRY LEAVES-FEW
- SALT TO TASTE
- Heat the water in a heavy pan.Bring to boil.Add the salt to taste.Add a tablespoon of oil to the water.
- Switch off the gas.
- Now Add the flour little by little ,stirring continuously,avoiding lump formations.
- Now ,cook the flour in medium heat till it leaves the sides of the pan.(Using a nonstick pan makes your job simpler)
- Remove from heat.
- Apply oil in your hands and roll out tiny marble-sized balls out of this cooked dough.
- Steam these balls in an idli cooker/steamer for 10 minutes or till they are done.(the get a shine when done and when you insert a toothpick into a ball ,it comes out clean when cooked well)
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a kadai.
- Splutter the mustard seeds,urad dhal and red chillies.
- Now add the steamed Ammini kozhukkatais and sautee well.
- Add the sasfoetida,grated coconut and (more salt-optional) curry leaves.
- Sautee for a few minutes.
- Serve hot or later.