Monday, January 5, 2015
Here is a healthy flavorful Thuvayal....(a chutney meant to be mixed with rice )....
- MINT LEAVES(pudina) -1 BUNCH
- CORIANDER LEAVES -1 SMALL BUNCH
- DRY RED CHILLIES-5-6
- GRATED COCONUT-1 CUP
- URAD DHAL-2 TABLESPOONS
- TAMARIND-1 SMALL PIECE
- OIL-1 TEASPOON
- SALT TO TASTE
- Wash and clean the leaves (mint and coriander)
- Heat oil in a pan. Roast the dhal and red chillies.
- Add the leaves and fry lightly for 10 seconds.
- Add the coconut and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Grind in a mixie to a slightly coarse paste,adding very little water only if you need.
- Serve with hot rice ,ghee and fried appalams.
- You can also have it with curd rice or puris, rotis ,dosas etc.
Saturday, January 3, 2015
This is the first weekend of the year...
It calls for some really delicious food....
And I opted for my all time favorite...
Stuffed Capsicums simmered in rich tomato gravy....
- FIRM CAPSICUMS-3
- GARLIC-8 CLOVES
- PANEER-1 CUP
- CASHEW NUTS-1/2 CUP
- GREEN CHILLY-1-2
- CUMIN POWDER-1 TEASPOON
- GARAM MASALA POWDER-1 TEASPOON
- CHILLI POWDER-1 TEASPOON
- SALT TO TASTE
- OIL FOR FRYING-3 TABLESPOONS
- CORIANDER LEAVES-FEW
(FOR THE GRAVY)
- Chop the tomatoes, 1 onions and garlic to pieces.
- Soak 1/2 of the cashew nuts.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Fry the garlic,onions and tomatoes till they are mushy and well cooked.Cool.
- Grind together the cooked mixture and cashew nuts to a smooth paste.
- Heat a little oil.Fry this paste for a few minutes.
- Add the cumin powder,garam masala powder,chilly powder and salt to taste.
- Simmer till slightly thick.
- Keep it aside.
(FOR THE STUFFED CAPSICUMS)
- Remove the stalks and the seeds from the capsicums by making a neat cut on the upper side of the capsicum.
- Rub their insides with a little salt.Keep aside for a few minutes.
- Drain the moisture.
- Grate /crumble the paneer into fine bits.
- Mix well 1 chopped onion, finely cut green chillies, broken cashew nuts, paneer and cooked and mashed potatoes.Add salt to taste.
- Slightly roast the capsicum with a little oil on a hot pan,turning them gently so they do not loose shape or color.
- Fill them tightly with the potato - paneer mixture.
- Gently immerse them into the hot ,simmering tomato gravy.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes moving them lightly at regular intervals.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis and pulavs of your choice .