Here is a healthy and tasty pongal with the added goodness of carrots...
We all know that pongal is the South Indian equivalent of the Gujarati Khichidi...
It is a great comfort food made of rice and moong dhal...so it has the right amount of carbohydrates and proteins that gives you the power to kick start your day....
An added dollop of ghee adds to the taste and richness of pongal(if you are not counting calories....
This recipe has the extra dose of the taste and health benefits of carrots-A great source of Beta carotene and Vitamin A.
Carrots help in improving your eyesight,makes your skin glowing and healthy and smooth and helps in flushing out the toxins from your body...
- RAW RICE-1 CUP
- SPLIT MOONG DHAL-1/2 CUP
- GRATED CARROTS-2 CUPS
- CUMIN SEEDS -1/2 TEASPOON
- PEPPERCORN-1 TEASPOON
- CASHEW NUTS-10
- CURRY LEAVES -FEW
- OIL/GHEE-2 TABLESPOONS
- SALT TO TASTE.
- Heat a pressure pan.Dry roast the moong dhal for a minute.
- Add the cleaned and washed rice to the dhal.
- Now add the grated carrots and sautee for a minute.
- Add 4-5 cups of water and pressure cook the mixture for 5-7 whistles.
- Remove the cooker from the heat.
- Open the cooker after a while and mash the cooked mixture with a ladle.
- Heat the oil/ghee and fry the cashew nuts,cumin seeds and peppercorns and add to the cooked mixture.
- Add salt to taste and garnish with a few curry leaves.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney or/and sambar.