Here is a tasty and simple dessert straight from my Grandma's kitchen....
It is delicious and filling and can be prepared in less than 15 minutes...
This dessert is a tasty and healthy alternative to the modern day pastries ...
Usually it is prepared on Gokulashtami /Sri Krishna Jayanthi / Janmashtami day and offered to Lord Sri Krishna to symbolically remind us of Kuchela's offering aval to Sri Krishna who partakes it happily and showers Kuchela with wealth, joy and prosperity...
- AVAL /RICE FLAKES /POHA-2 CUPS
- POWDERED JAGGERY-1 3/4 CUP
- POWDERED ELAICHI-1/4 TEASPOON
- GRATED COCONUT -1 CUP
- GHEE-3 TABLESPOONS
- FRIED CASHEW NUTS- 8 - 10
- Dry roast the aval in a kadai for a minute.
- Powder it coarsely for 1/2 a minute in a mixer.
- Soak the powdered aval with just enough water for 7-8 minutes if the aval is the hard variety.(If it is the thin aval this stem may be skipped or you may soak it for just 30 seconds).
- Heat the powdered jaggery with just enough water cover it.
- Dissolve and boil till you get a nice aroma .
- Now ,add the soaked aval and grated coconut to the jaggery syrup.
- Continue stirring till the syrup is absorbed and it leaves the sides of the pan.
- Now add the elaichi and fried cashew nuts and garnish.
- Serve hot or a little cool.
- This dessert is usually home made of offered in temples and is not usually available in restaurants or sweet shops.